Thursday, 23 February 2023

TROPONIN I

Troponin I is a protein that is released into the bloodstream following damage to heart muscle cells. Elevated levels of troponin I in the blood can indicate heart damage, such as a heart attack or other cardiac injury.

Causes of elevation:

Heart attack (myocardial infarction)
Unstable angina (chest pain caused by reduced blood flow to the heart)
Heart inflammation (myocarditis)
Heart failure
Cardiomyopathy (disease of the heart muscle)
Pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung)
Aortic dissection (tear in the aorta)
Trauma to the chest
Causes of false elevation:

Kidney disease
Some medications, such as certain antibiotics, chemotherapy drugs, and immunosuppressants
Systemic infections
Autoimmune diseases
Normal values:
The normal range for troponin I can vary depending on the laboratory and the specific assay used to measure it. Generally, a troponin I level less than 0.04 ng/mL is considered normal. However, it's important to note that even very low levels of troponin I can be a sign of heart damage, particularly if there is a rising trend over time. Additionally, different clinical situations may require different thresholds for what is considered a significant elevation of troponin I

No comments:

Post a Comment